The Active Mokopuna Programme is delivered with support from our local Health Board, Hauora Tairawhiti. Every year our coordinators work alongside a select number of early childhood centres and Kohanga Reo to help increase the quality and quantity of physical activity and improve healthy eating for under 5s.
This is a free service which offers the following support:
- Regular In-Centre Physical Activity and Nutrition Sessions
- Policy review and Development
- Resources and Information
- Support with obtaining the Healthy Heart Award. Read more about the Health Heart Award here
- Fundamental Movement Skill Development – Find out more about FMS
- Event Planning/Whanau Days
- Workshops/Professional Development
Join the Programme
To enrol, please complete our online application here. Centres selected for the year’s intake will be required to:
- Sign a Memorandum of Understanding that outlines the programme and our respective commitments and responsibilities.
- Complete a pre-evaluation form that identifies the physical activity and healthy eating areas you would like support with
- Agree on an action plan for your centre
For centres/kohanga not on the 12 month programme, we continue to offer our services in terms of resources, professional development, taster sessions, advice and information.
Early Childhood Professional Development Workshops
The below active movement and nutrition workshops are offered to educators and whanau throughout the year. There is no charge for workshops delivered by Sport Gisborne, but registrations are essential.
Learning to Move, Moving to Learn
Covering topics from brain development, fundamental skills, movement concepts, the vestibular system, session planning and “risk versus safety”. This is a great workshop for new Early Childhood Education teachers or teachers wanting to refresh their knowledge and gain some practical ideas and activities to take back to the classroom and playground.
5 Under 5 Fundamental Movement Skills
This workshop assists educators and whanau in developing children’s Fundamental Movement Skills. Based on the 5 Under 5 Skills Activity Programme staff are provided with best practice ideas and given resources, activity ideas and teaching cues to help children develop their running, jumping, balancing, hopping bouncing and catching skills.
Growing Healthy Tamariki
This nutrition workshop offers practical ideas and strategies to promote healthy eating for under 5’s. You will learn how various foods affect our children’s ability to grow and learn. We also offer some useful tips and lunch box ideas for incorporating more healthy foods into their diets. This workshop is ideal for centres working towards the Healthy Heart Award.
Your Moving Baby
This workshop is delivered by Sport Gisborne in conjunction with Gisborne Plunket. It covers the importance of getting babies moving from the word go, and provides parents with practical ideas and activities they can do with their baby.