Sport Gisborne Tairawhiti offers free support to primary and intermediate schools. Our aim is to encourage the development of Fundamental Movement Skills (FMS). However, we also offer the following services to assist schools with their physical literacy programmes.
Support available to schools
- Curriculum planning
- Resource assessment and identification
- Event support
- Support for Early Years children
- Support for East Coast schools and kura
- Relationship with local sports
- School focused personal development (PD) for teachers
Our team can also work with schools to deliver personal development opportunities to teachers.
Personal Development opportunities available
- Gymnastics – Great for Gym Festival preparation. This session covers basic balance sessions, working with the children and modelling for the teachers.
- Football – As well as facilitating links to Central Football, we work with classes, groups or teams, modelling sessions for teacher PD and providing follow up support material.
- Cross Country – Developing ways of improving students’ approach to cross country running.
- Athletics – How to improve the children’s Sprinting, Long Jump and High Jump techniques.
- Cricket – As well as providing links to the services offered by Poverty Bay Cricket Association Phil can model fun cricket sessions including games of non-stop cricket, French cricket.
- Small Ball Skills and Large Ball Skills – Delivered as a full staff development session, with active participation by teachers or by delivering to groups or classes with the teacher(s) in attendance.
- Cooperative Games – Suitable for class groups, smaller groups of children or as part of a leadership component or to a full staff meeting as part of an active participation session.
Follow up ideas and suggestion for development work are also provided for teacher personal development, as well as basic assessments where required.
If you don’t see your school’s needs covered here, please contact our School Partnership Coordinator, Phil Robinson to discuss.