- Long grain white rice 2 cups
- water 3 cups
- pinch of salt
Chilli Con Carne
- beef mince 600g
- brown onion 1, finely diced
- chilli spice mix , see below
- chilli flakes or chilli powder a pinch (optional)
- frozen corn kernels 1 cup
- red kidney beans 400g can, drained and rinsed
- tomato paste 3 tablespoons
- chopped tomatoes 400g can
- carrot 1, grated
- beef stock 1 cup (gluten-free if required)
- grated cheese ½ cup
- sour cream ¼ cup
- tomato sauce 2 tablespoons
- iceberg lettuce ½
Preheat oven grill to 200°C/high. Set aside a large casserole/baking dish (if you do not have an oven proof frying pan).
- Combine all rice ingredients in a medium-sized lidded pot and bring to the boil. As soon as it boils, cover with a tight-fitting lid and reduce to lowest heat to cook for 12 minutes. Turn off heat and leave to steam, still covered, for a further 8 minutes. Do not lift lid during cooking or steaming. When rice has finished steaming, fluff up grains with a fork.
- Heat a little oil in a large frying pan (preferably oven-proof) on a high heat.Cook beef mince and onion, breaking up mince with a wooden spoon as it cooks, for 7-8 minute, until browned. Add chilli spice mix (see recipe below) and chilli flakes/powder (if using) and cook for a further 1 minutes, until fragrant.
- Add corn, beans, tomato paste, canned tomatoes, carrot and stock to pan. Bring to a summer then reduce heat to low and simmer, stirring occasionally, for 9-12 minutes, until thickened. Season to taste with salt and freshly ground black pepper.
- While sauce is simmering, prepare the rest of the meal. In a small bowl, combine sour cream and tomato sauce and set aside. Thinly slice lettuce and place in a serving bowl.
- Sprinkle cheese over mince and place whole pan under grill for about 6 minutes, until cheese is bubbling and golden. If you don’t have an oven-proof frying pan, transfer mixture to an oven-proof dish before adding the cheese.
To serve, place Chilli Con Carne, rice, tomato sour cream and lettuce in the middle of the table for everyone to help themselves.
Chilli spice mix
Mix together 2 teaspoons smoked paprika, 2 teaspoons dried oregano, 2 teaspoons onion powder, 1 teaspoon ground cumin and 1 teaspoon ground coriander